COMMON 2023 was fantastic! Over the five days I was there, I personally had face-to-face conversations with well over 100 IBM i end user customers regarding their plans and challenges, I got to hear directly from the IBM i lab leaders about all of the exciting new technology coming (or already arrived) for the IBM i, and I got to meet with the ISV community to participate in providing feedback directly to IBM on future plans and requirements. I even got the chance to meet and get a picture with Tim Rowe’s daughter Megan Rowe who is an American Ninja Warrior celebrity (she is the “axe throwing” ninja and my whole family are big fans)!
Some of the highlights of COMMON 2023 for me included:
- Liam Allan’s work on his Visual Studio Code plugin (including the addition of the ILE debugger)
- The many presentations on VS Code, Git, Ansible, and other open source development tools for IBM i
- Scott Forstie’s review of Watson Geospatial Analytics now integrated directly with DB2 on the IBM i
- All the cool new additions, tricks, and techniques for RPG
- Scott Forstie took the time from what must have been an incredibly busy conference schedule to help our developers with a technical support issue!!
- The many breakfasts and lunch meetings I had with IBM i users (even the one to which I was incredibly late – thank you to those who had to start without me and were so wonderfully gracious)
- Every one of the conversations I got to have with users on the show floor – you were all so open, friendly, knowledgeable and helpful
- Did I mention that I got to meet Megan Rowe, the Axe-Throwing Ninja?
COMMON 2023 was a reminder of how transformational it can be to actually meet people in person (Here’s my video recap from the event floor). I am so looking forward to COMMON Navigate in Virginia Beach and next year’s POWERUp conference in Fort Worth, TX!